What are the good and the bad parts of maladaptive daydreaming?
I went to see my therapist today and she told me to write down a list of all the best and low points of Maladaptive Daydreaming and then to compare them. Here are mine, it would be good to see yours too.
Why Maladaptive Daydreaming feels good
- Whatever my character feels, love, happiness, confidence etc I get to feel that too, instantly.
- It’s a quick fix. Immersive daydreaming is instant. Feeling anxious or low? I know how to fix that with daydreaming so I feel good in seconds.
- It takes my mind off other problems, such as not knowing what to do with my life.
- It stops me from feeling anxious.
- It stops me from feeling bored.
Why Maladaptive Daydreaming is bad for you (the low points)
- Maladaptive daydreaming is an addiction and as we know addictions are not good for you and are really hard to break. The longer you let yourself daydream, the harder it will be to break.
- Our fantasy worlds are not real. We are wasting hours and hours a day dreaming about something that is not real and for the vast majority of us will never be real. So what is the point? Daydreaming addiction can only lead to disappointment.
- My work suffers. I find it very hard to focus on my job as my mind keeps wandering off, so I’m not being as productive as I can be.
- I’m not living in the moment, my mind is often elsewhere so I’m letting life pass me by.
- I’m becoming late for work, not doing chores like laundry when it needs to be done as I’m concentrating on my daydream so things either don’t get done on time or if so they’re done days later.
- Intellectually, I’m suffering. I’m not reading anymore or watching the news or learning anything new, as of course, constantly daydreaming takes up time and concentration. Plus, I would much rather go over a daydreaming plot then pick up a newspaper.
Well, this is my pro and con maladaptive daydreaming list. Please share yours below too, it would be interesting to see if they’re similar or not. As per usual, if you want to share something, add something, or offer advise please email me or leave a comment below.